Everyone would like their donation to make a difference. Here are some guidelines to consider:
• There is limited refrigerator and freezer space for storage, so please donate only “dry-goods” (non-perishable) foods.
• Check expiration dates on all food items you’d like to donate. If the item is expired for 6 months or longer then it is not appropriate to donate.
• Only commercially prepared items are acceptable for food distribution (not home canned food items).
• Items that do not have an ingredients label should not be donated. Recipients may have food allergies.
• For food safety reasons, any opened, used, or damaged item should not be donated.
Often times, money donations are preferred because your charitable dollar goes farther than what you can purchase at a grocery store. Finally, if you would not consume the item –please don’t donate it. We request that you leave your name and address with your donation so that we can acknowledge it with a thank you letter.
Suggested Non-Perishable Food Items for Plattsburgh Interfaith Food Shelf: